‘What burned up the most is the memories’: Family of six ‘lost everything’ in house fire

Top Stories

PUEBLO COUNTY, Colo. — The Friday night before Valentine’s Day an electrical fire started a home in Pueblo County.

Three people were at home when the fire started at the property on Aldred Road near Highway 50 and Baxter Road. Wayne Stokley who owns the property said they are lucky his son, daughter in law and his 13-month-old grandchild were not home at the time.

“Thank God the baby wasn’t here,” Stokley said. “It started in the room they were in. I don’t even want to think what would have happened.”

Stokley said they were also housing an elderly homeless gentleman at the time. Wayne, his mother-in-law, and the man were able to get out safely.

The fire engulfed the entire house and is considered a total loss.

“Everything burned to the ground it didn’t take long to go up,” said Stokley. “I think what burned up the most was the memories this house has held at one time.”

Kayla Hardman, Stokley’s daughter-in-law, lost a lot of sentimental items like a certificate from the hospital along with other important documents.

“I’m sadder about all the hospital stuff. When you have your baby and you bring them home and they send you home with their feet prints and the blanket they come home with. All of that’s gone, you can’t get it back,” Hardman said.

One of the only items not destroyed was the family bible, pages intact.

The family is asking for the public’s help and started a GoFund Me page.

>>Tap here to donate to their GoFundMe Page.

Assistant Fire Chief Mike Furney said in the rural area, there are only a few fire hydrants and they have to ask Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office for assistance getting water to put the fire out.

No one was hurt in the fire, but one dog did perish in the flames.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Local Stories

More Local