Rabid skunk bites dog in Pueblo

Top Stories
rabies_19889

PUEBLO, Colo. — The Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment confirmed a skunk there tested positive for rabies. The skunk was found in the Avondale area. The health department said the animal bit a pet dog.

“It is important for any pets and livestock in the Avondale area who may have had contact with a skunk to be examined immediately by a licensed veterinarian,” said Vicki Carlton, Program Manager at the Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment. “Rabies is deadly to both humans and animals once symptoms begin; therefore, it is important when a person or pet has contact with wildlife to seek medical or veterinary care immediately.”

Rabies is caused by a virus transmitted by the bite of an infected animal. It can also be transmitted if the infected animal’s saliva gets into a cut or break in the skin.

To protect pets from rabies it is important to vaccinate them through a licensed veterinarian.

To avoid exposure to rabies:

  • Never touch a wild animal.
  • If you are bitten by a wild animal, wash the bite thoroughly with soap and water. Then contact your physician and local health department.
  • Make sure your pets are vaccinated.
  • If your pet has been exposed to wildlife, contact your vet and local health department.
  • Protect your dog from wildlife by walking your dog on a leash.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Local Stories

More Local