COLORADO SPRINGS — The Colorado Springs Fire Department responded to a grass fire Wednesday evening.
Fire crews were called around 4:20 p.m. Four units, including 47 firefighters, responded to the area of N. 30th St. and Water St.
Roughly five acres burned and firefighters confirm the fire is contained.
Firefighters said three homes were evacuated, but all families are back in their homes. It took fire crews an hour to put out the flames.
The fire is across from Garden of the Gods and behind Howbert Elementary School. The flames burned up to the backyard of homes. No homes were damaged.
The cause of the fire was determined to be “careless disposal of a cigarette butt.” CSFD said fire season is year-round in Colorado Springs so please be careful.