PUEBLO WEST, Colo. — A wild rabbit found in Pueblo West has tested positive for tularemia, also known as rabbit fever.
The rabbit was found in the Liberty Point area. The Pueblo City-County Health Department said it had no contact with people.
Tularemia is a bacterial infection most commonly transmitted to humans by the handling of sick or dead animals. Infection can also occur from the bite of infected insects, including ticks and deer flies, and exposure to soil and vegetation. Dogs and cats get tularemia by eating infected rabbits or other rodents and through tick and deer fly bites.