COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Happy National Popcorn Day!
According to a survey by National Today, 92 percent of Americans enjoy popcorn.
Even theater owners initially were against serving popcorn on the premises for reasons like requiring expensive changes such as installing outside vents to get rid of ‘popcorn odors’ from the building.
With the start of the Depression, however, popcorn became one of the few luxuries that people could afford, forcing theater owners to start selling the kernels.
Since then, with the evolution of movies and the invention of the microwave, popcorn has become well-ingrained into American culture as a fast and healthy treat (if not doused in butter, of course!).
Researchers asked 1,000 Americans about their popcorn preferences.
Here’s what they found out:Top 5 Most Popular Popcorn Flavors
- Classic Butter and Salt (73 percent)
- Cheese (37 percent)
- Caramel (32 percent)
- Garlic Salt (15 percent)
- Chocolate (14 percent)
Top 5 Occasions To Eat Popcorn
- At the movie theater (63 percent)
- When watching TV or movies (62 percent)
- Late-night snack (30 percent)
- As an easy snack for when I get home (22 percent)
- At the office as a light snack (13 percent)
Top 3 Favorite Popcorn Brands
- Orville Redenbacher (53 percent)
- Pop Secret (42 percent)
- Act II (34 percent)