Several Colorado highways and mountain passes will open later than usual this summer due to heavy winter and spring snowfall.
Most seasonal highways in Colorado usually open on Memorial Day weekend. This year, most of them will remain closed for several more weeks. Here’s a look at the anticipated opening dates, according to the Colorado Department of Transportation:
- Guanella Pass between Georgetown and Grant: opening Friday
- Highway 5 on Mount Evans: opening date to be determined
- Highway 82 over Independence Pass between Twin Lakes and Aspen: opening in early June
- Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park between Estes Park and Grand Lake: opening date to be determined
- Kebler Pass near Crested Butte: opening in late May or early June
- Cottonwood Pass between Buena Vista and Gunnison County: opening June 22, except portion closed due to roadwork