Two construction workers were injured in an explosion at a house in eastern El Paso County Thursday morning, according to the sheriff’s office.
Deputies said it happened around 9:15 a.m. at a house under construction on Highway 24 between Peyton and Calhan. Deputies said when drywall construction workers opened the garage door to set up equipment, there was an explosion that engulfed the house in flames.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire before it threatened any other buildings.
Two of the workers were hospitalized with unspecified injuries.
Deputies said it appears a propane gas leak may have ignited an unknown spark, causing the explosion. They don’t suspect arson or foul play.