Law enforcement agencies and first responders across the Pikes Peak region are urging drivers to stay off the roads as a blizzard continues to hit the area.
The Colorado Department of Transportation said Interstate 25 between Monument and Castle Rock will remain closed through the night. Highway 83 will also remain closed from Monument to Denver.
These highways may reopen in the morning. Anyone stranded on the interstate should call 911.
As of 7:30 p.m., more than 1,100 drivers are stuck and stranded on roads across El Paso County. There are 200 to 400 stalled cars on Woodmen Road alone, according to Sheriff Bill Elder.
The Colorado National Guard has been activated for search, rescue, and life safety operations primarily focused on stranded motorists.
First responders from Lake County are on their way to the Colorado Springs area to help rescue stranded motorists.
Roads are impassable and visibility is near zero in many areas.
Due to the high number of calls, officials are requesting that residents only call 911 for emergencies.
The following locations are open as emergency shelters for people who are stranded:
- Homeless Shelter available at Springs Rescue Mission; 5 W. Las Vegas Ave, Colorado Springs
- Woodmen Valley Chapel; 290 E Woodmen Rd, Colorado Springs
- Woodmen Valley Heights Campus; 8292 Woodmen Valley Vw, Colorado Springs
- Mountain Springs Church, 7345 Adventure Way, Colorado Springs
- Falcon Patriot Learning Center; 11990 Swingline Road, Peyton
- Calhan St. Paul’s; 1450 5th St, Calhan
- Monument St. Peter’s; 55 Jefferson St, Monument
- New Covenant Church; 77 Perry Park Ave, Larkspur
- Black Forest Community Church, 6845 Shoup Rd, Black Forest (Note: A phone number is posted on the door, call and the shelter will be opened)
- Douglas County Fairgrounds; 500 Fairgrounds Rd, Castle Rock
The following southern Colorado highways are closed as of 5:30 p.m., according to CDOT:
- Interstate 25 in both directions between Monument and Lone Tree
- Highway 24 in both directions between Falcon (Rio Lane) and Limon (Interstate 70)
- Highway 94 in both directions between Enoch Road (east of Colorado Springs) and Aroya (Highway 287)
- Highway 83 between Highway 105 (Monument) and Highway 86 (Franktown)
- Highway 10 between Walsenburg and Trinidad
- Highway 17 in both directions over the Cumbres and La Manga passes, between the New Mexico border and mile marker 14
- Highway 109 between La Junta and Kim
- Highway 287 between Springfield and Lamar
- Highway 370 between La Junta and Trinidad
Here’s a live look at Interstate 25 in Monument: