More than 200 volunteers honored Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy of selfless service at Care and Share on Monday.
Nearly 600 families affected by the government shutdown took advantage of their emergency food distribution on Friday. The roughly 72,000 pounds of food given away at the emergency mobile food pantry was a Care and Share record for a one-day giveaway.
As day 31 of the government shutdown closes out families continue to face food shortages.
Kate Nicely has been volunteering with Care and Share since 2012, after the Waldo Canyon Fire.
She calls the food bank her happy place.
A day of service to remember a man dedicated to selfless service. The food bank is bustling with schools groups, families and the regular volunteers helping prepare more boxes, for future food giveaways.
MLK Jr. Day is a time to reflect on a time when our country was so divided, some volunteers at Care and Share Food Bank spent the day helping families affected by a shutdown, from yet another divide.
“Regardless of what you believe or think about the shutdown, we believe that nobody should go hungry,” said CEO of Care and Share Lynne Telford.
Decades since one man had a dream, his lesson that “the time is always right to do the right thing” was being shared with younger generations.
“For youngsters to realize the importance of it, it means we are doing something right. It means that the next generation is learning how important it is to stand beside each other; not behind, not in front but with each other,” said Nicely.
“People that don’t have food are sad and my family is really lucky so, I really wanted to help,” said 10-year-old volunteer Lily Ramirez. “It feels good because I know I am helping people.”
Emergency Mobile Food Pantry Distributions
All future emergency mobile food pantry distributions will be first come, first served until the food runs out.
- Friday, February 8: Southeast Colorado Springs location TBD. Distribution will begin at 2:00 p.m
- Saturday, February 16: Centennial Elementary School, 1860 South Chelton Rd., Colorado Springs, 80910. Distribution will begin at 9:00 a.m.
- Thursday, January 31: Care and Share Food Bank Pueblo Distribution Center, 100 Greenhorn Drive, Pueblo 81004. Distribution will begin at 1:00 p.m.
- Friday, February 15: Eastside Action Support Team at the Lucero Library, 1315 E. 7th Street, Pueblo, 81001. Distribution will begin at 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, February 8: Loaves and Fishes Canon City, 241 Justice Center Drive, 81212. Distribution will begin at 11:00 a.m.