Hot coals are to be blamed for a fire that burned a backyard and threatened a home on Saturday.
According to Fire Captain Brian Vaughan, crews were sent to a home off Kingsley Drive, in a neighborhood west of the Citadel Mall, around 9:15 p.m after getting reports of a home on fire.
Crews that arrived first on scene found the backyard had flames that were nipping at the eaves of the home as it crept closer to the building.
The fire was quickly extinguished on the exterior of the house while interior crews reported only light smoke in the immediate vicinity and no active fire in the structure, including the attic space.
Vaughan reported that fire investigators responded to the scene, and after a thorough investigation, it was determined the fire to be accidental and attributed to a warm/hot coals improperly discarded into a plastic trash bag and stored adjacent to combustibles.