COLORADO SPRINGS — Four people are displaced from their homes after an apartment fire in northern Colorado Springs Monday morning.
The fire started around 5 a.m. at the Villages at Woodmen apartments at Academy Boulevard and Woodmen Road. Heavy fire was showing when firefighters arrived.
Firefighters said one person was taken to the hospital for difficulty breathing.
Two units were affected by smoke and fire, displacing four people from their homes, according CSFD.
A next door neighbor says she was trying to go to sleep around 4 a.m. when a brighter than normal light and quacking sounds from her neighbor’s ducks drew her to her window in the middle of the night.
“They were quacking and stuff… That’s how I really know something was wrong becuase they were just going off,” said Khalilah Jackson. “It’s unbelievable. I’ve never had my fight or flight response kick in. I’ve never felt that before today. I was really scared because my apartment is all I have.”
Investigators say an extension cord accidentally caught fire on one of the decks.
CSFD say the apartment management helped throughout the incident, also helping those that were displaced find a solution to their living situation.