CSFD: Fire at Colorado Springs fourplex was caused by careless disposal of cigarette

Local
Firefighters fight a fire in a fourplex on Stovel Circle in eastern Colorado Springs Saturday. Colorado Springs Fire Department

A fire in an eastern Colorado Springs fourplex last weekend was caused by careless disposal of a cigarette, according to fire investigators.

The fire started around 7:30 p.m. Saturday at a fourplex in the area of Murray Boulevard and Pikes Peak Avenue. It started in the back of the building and spread into the attic. It took 40 firefighters about 10 minutes to get the fire under control. No one was injured. 

The fire department offered the following tips for safe disposal of cigarettes: 

  • If you smoke, smoke outside. Most deaths result from fires that started in living rooms, family rooms, and dens or bedrooms.
  • Keep cigarettes, lighters, matches, and other smoking materials up high out of the reach of children, in a locked cabinet.
  • Use a deep, sturdy ashtray with the appropriate lid to discourage wind or chance of hot embers blowing out of the ashtray. Place it away from anything that can burn.
  • Do not discard cigarettes in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss, dried grasses, leaves or other things that could ignite easily.
  • Before you throw away butts and ashes, make sure they are out, and dousing in water or sand is the best way to accomplish extinguishment.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Local Stories

More Local