No injuries in fire at Johnny’s Navajo Hogan restaurant in Colorado Springs

Local

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — A fire that broke out at Johnny’s Navajo Hogan in Colorado Springs Tuesday morning was contained to the basement, according to firefighters. No injuries were reported.

The fire was reported around 9 a.m. at the restaurant on North Nevada Avenue. Firefighters got it under control in about 20 minutes.

Firefighters said the fire was contained to the basement, but sent smoke throughout the building.

Fire investigators have classified the fire as accidental. They determined it was caused by a malfunction in the dryer.

The iconic restaurant and bar, built to resemble a hogan, opened as a roadhouse in 1935 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Local Stories

More Local