Colorado Springs apartment fire caused by unattended cooking on stove

Local
Two apartments were damaged in a fire in southern Colorado Springs Thursday. Photo courtesy Colorado Springs Fire Department

A fire that damaged two apartments in Colorado Springs Thursday was caused by unattended cooking on the stove, according to fire investigators. 

The fire started around 6:30 p.m. in a third-story apartment on Mallard Drive, which is in the area of Fountain Boulevard and Chelton Road. No one was injured. 

Firefighters said two units were uninhabitable after the fire: the one where the fire started, and the one below it, which sustained water damage. 

Investigators determined the fire was accidental and was caused by unattended cooking on the stovetop. 

The Colorado Springs Fire Department said cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires, and the leading cause of kitchen fires is unattended cooking. They offered the following tips for preventing kitchen fires: 

  • Be on alert. If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol, don’t use the stove or stovetop.
  • Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
  • If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, and remain in the kitchen while food is cooking.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire, including oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, and curtains, away from your stovetop.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Local Stories

More Local