MANITOU SPRINGS, Colo. — The Pikes Peak Cog Railway is one step closer to reopening this spring. A new locomotive and passenger cars arrived at the depot in Manitou Springs Friday afternoon.
Two more locomotives will be arriving in the next two months, according to the railway. Trains will begin running in May.
The railway, which dates back to 1891, has been closed since 2017. It’s currently undergoing a $100 million renovation of its tracks, cogs, railcars, and depot.
Previous Cog Railway coverage
- America’s highest railroad reaches the halfway completion point, set to reopen 2021 (September 2020)
- Cog Railway set to reopen next spring: FOX21 takes a behind-the-scenes look at construction (August 2020)
- Significant progress on Pikes Peak Cog Railway (June 2020)
- First tracks installed in new Pikes Peak Cog Railway (May 2020)
- On-track for renovations: Cog Railway begins restoring cars in Manitou (November 2019)
- (Re)constructing the Cog Railway (November 2019)