Local

A family and their dog displaced after a faulty chimney burns home

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - A Colorado Springs family and their dog lost their home on Tuesday after a faulty chimney caught their roof on fire. 

According to Brian Vaughan with the Colorado Springs Fire Department, crews were called to a home along Star Ranch Road for reports of a house fire. Firefighters first on scene found a home with 10-foot tall flames on the roof. 

The home, a two-story wood framed house, was burning within the attack. A three-person family and a dog had already left the home by the time crews arrived. The family said they heard popping sound near the fireplace but were unable to figure out the noise until they left the house. 

Additional firefighters were called to the scene and worked on extinguishing the fire. 

Fire investigators arrived at the scene, and after a thorough investigation, the fire was deemed accidental due to faulty chimney chase conduit. In simple terms, the pipe chase became disconnected and allowed heat and fire to escape into the attic space where the fire remained in the growth stage until firefighters intervened. 

There were no injuries to firefighters or citizens reported during the fire. 


Latest Local News