(MANITOU SPRINGS, Colo.) — The fruitcakes will fly again in downtown Manitou Springs on Saturday, Jan. 28!
The 28th annual Great Fruitcake Toss will take place at Memorial Park located on 502 Manitou Ave., from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
A limited number of fruitcakes will be available for $5 per cake, including four tickets to throw. Those who received a fruitcake over the holidays are encouraged to bring their own cake to toss. Additional throws will cost $1 each.
Outside cakes must weigh 1lb, be rectangular in shape, and contain glaced fruits, nuts and flour. They cannot contain anything inedible. Fruitcakes will not be taste tested, but fruitcakes must be visible and examined by the “Fruitcake Toss Tech Inspectors” upon arrival.
Participants are encouraged to bring a non-perishable food item for the Manitou Springs Community Pantry. Each canned item will equal one event ticket. A maximum of ten tickets will be available for each family.
Fruitcake toss rules of play:
- One Cake per throw (one ticket per toss)
- Measured at the location of landed cake
- WINNER: Whoever throws the farthest distance in each age group
- ONE TOSSER ON ACCURACY COURSE AT A TIME
- ONE TICKET TO ENTER
- 10 and under start from 5 feet
- 11 and older start from 10 feet
- Every tosser gets one “mulligan” (miss)
- Second miss and you are out
- Start at the largest hoop and move to the middle, then the smallest all on ten feet. If the tosser makes all three, they advance to 20 feet. If all 20-foot hoops are made, they advance to 30 feet.
- 10 ft increments for measurement
- WINNER: Whomever hits the smallest hoop from the farthest distance in each age group
- One cake – toss three times
- One ticket to toss in baskets
- WINNER: Highest scoring toss by adding points from baskets
- One cake per race (1 ticket)
- Five-second rule: If you drop your cake, you have five seconds to get back into the race
- Individuals will run the race course once, balancing cake on a spatula
- WINNER: Fastest time on the course in each age group