UPDATE: The fire is out, there were no injuries and no other structures damaged. The fire was actually located in a permanently closed Big O Tire store next to the Rodeway Inn, not in the Rodeway Inn as previously stated by CSFD.

According to battalion chief Brian Vaughan with CSFD, the fire was started by a group of homeless individuals who had made entry into the unused building and had set up a cooking area. The fire appears to have ignited in one of these cooking areas, where fire crawled up the wall. When CSFD arrived, no one was inside the building and heavy smoke was seen coming from the first floor.

The building was set to be demolished in the future to make way for new structures, CSFD said. At no point were any evacuations in place for the Rodeway Inn next door, CSFD said the fire was under control within minutes of crews arriving.

COLORADO SPRINGS — The Colorado Springs Fire Department (CSFD) is on the scene of a fire at Rodeway Inn on Nevada Avenue.

CSFD is reporting smoke and fire visible. Northbound Nevada Avenue will be closed while crews respond. Avoid the area to allow for emergency crews.

This is a developing story, check back here for updates.