Suthers elected to second term, voters reject collective bargaining for firefighters


Colorado Springs voters resoundingly elected Mayor John Suthers to a second term Tuesday, while they soundly defeated a ballot measure that he opposed, according to unofficial election results. 

As of 8 p.m. Tuesday, Suthers was leading the mayor’s race with 75 percent of the vote. The other three candidates split the remaining 25 percent. 

Voters defeated ballot Issue 1, which would have allowed collective bargaining for firefighters. Unofficial results as of 8 p.m. show 70 percent of voters opposed the measure, while 30 percent supported it. The measure was supported by Firefighters for a Safer Colorado Springs. 

“I cannot tell the people of Colorado Springs how grateful I am for their judgment of Issue 1,” Suthers said in a victory speech Tuesday night. 

Voters also cast ballots for three at-large city council members. As of 8 p.m., Wayne Williams, Tom Strand, and Bill Murray are leading the race, but those results could change as more ballots are counted. 

>> Tap here for the latest election results.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Local Stories

More Local