CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — Barry Morphew was released from jail on Monday after posting $500,000 bond. He’s currently awaiting trial for allegedly murdering his wife, Suzanne Morphew, on Mother’s Day weekend in 2020.
The arrest papers have been released after five months of it being sealed.
Barry Morphew was arrested on May 5, 2021, and has been charged with first-degree murder after Suzanne, the mother of their two daughters disappeared.
While speaking at a press conference in May 2021, Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said that although no body has been recovered, his “belief is that Suzanne is not alive at this time.”
On Friday, Chaffee County Judge Patrick Murphy found there was enough probable cause of first-degree murder and tampering with a deceased body for Morphew’s case to head to trial. Morphew’s trial is set for May 3, 2022. However, the judge said the prosecution did not meet the burden of proof evident, presumption great so he was obliged to set a bond under the Colorado Constitution. Judge Murphy set the bond for Morphew at $500,000 cash-only.
Morphew faces the following seven charges:
- Murder in the first degree
- Tampering with a deceased human body
- Tampering with physical evidence
- Possession of a dangerous weapon – short rifle
- Attempt to influence a public servant
- Forgery of Public Records
- Misdemeanor Elections-mail ballot offense
Morphew has maintained his innocence. Once he is released from jail he will have to have an ankle monitor, surrender his passport, and all guns. Judge Murphy also said Morphew must live in Chaffee County and appear in person to all court proceedings. There is a protection order for witnesses including Jeff Libler, Andy Moorman, David Moorman, Melinda Moorman, Holly Wilson, Sheila Oliver, Gene Ritter, Martin Ritter, Brad Osswald, Morgan Gentile, and Cassidy Cordova.
Morphews next court date is Tuesday, Nov. 9, at 1:30 p.m. which will be a motion hearing. The defense filed motions for violations of discovery and motion of violation of the court order to limit pretrial publicity.
This article will be updated.
To catch up on all the details revealed in court, review FOX21’s previous stories:
- Preliminary Hearing Day 4: Judge will decide in September if Barry Morphew’s case will go to trial
- Preliminary Hearing Day 3: ‘Did you ever find the journal? No’; Evidence discovered inside Suzanne Morphew’s home released
- Preliminary Hearing Day 2: “I’m done,” Texts between Suzanne and Barry Morphew reveal troubled marriage
- Preliminary Hearing Day 1: ‘Cannot live my life without you in it,’ messages reveal Suzanne Morphew had an affair before her disappearance