Give! 2018: Urban Peak Colorado Springs

Give!

Urban Peak is all about helping homeless youth in our community. They have three main programs: an outreach team for homeless youth, a shelter, and a housing program. 

“The mission for Urban Peak is to help ignite the potential in youth to exit homelessness so that they can live a self-determined, fulfilled life,” Director of Development Andy Petersen said. 

“It’s helped me a lot,” 19-year-old resident Destini Gilliam said. “I’ve been through a lot. The future looks amazing for me. I’m going to be starting school next year, so I see a pretty good future for myself.” 

“I’m just trying to get back on my feet,” 20-year-old resident Trent Krontke said. “Going to try to settle down and get my life started.” 

For Urban Peak, it’s not just about providing a roof over their heads. 

“It’s providing the services to be able to help them get out of the situation that they may be in, and find their path to be productive citizens,” Petersen said. 

Gilliam and Krontke offered advice for others who are struggling. 

“Honestly, just to keep your head up,” Gilliam said. “I know things are rough right now, but you’ll get through it. Keep your head up and stay positive. That’s the only thing you can really do right now.” 

“If you keep your head up and keep going forward and you set goals to achieve, you can’t go wrong,” Krontke said. “There’s only so far you can fall until you hit the bottom, and then you can work your way back up from there.” 

>> Learn more and Give! at indygive.com

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.