Floor finishing product sparks fire in Colorado Springs home

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - A Colorado Springs home was damaged by a fire sparked by improper disposal of a floor finishing product, according to firefighters. 

The fire started around 9:45 p.m. Tuesday in the kitchen of a home on Lark Drive, which is in the area of Circle Drive and Paseo Road. Firefighters said the house is under construction and no one was home at the time. It took 30 firefighters about five minutes to knock down the fire. No one was injured. 

Investigators determined the fire was caused by the improper disposal of applicators used with a floor finishing product. Investigators said the applicators, which were soaked in the product, were left inside a plastic trash bag. The bag spontaneously heated up and ignited. 

Firefighters recommend storing oily and solvent-soaked rags in tightly sealed metal containers, or hanging them outside to dry before throwing them away. 


Trending Stories

Latest Local News