Electrical malfunction causes fire in attic of South Nevada Avenue motel

A fire that broke out in the attic of a South Nevada Avenue motel early Sunday morning was caused by an electrical malfunction, according to firefighters. 

The fire started around 5:20 a.m. Sunday at the TravelStar Motel--the same motel where a man was killed after holding a woman hostage during a standoff on Monday

Firefighters said the motel owner called 911 after a guest who was checking in alerted him to smoke coming from the roof. Firefighters arrived within four minutes and were able to confine the fire to the attic space above one room.

Six rooms on the second floor were evacuated while firefighters put out the fire. No one was injured. 

investigators determined the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction. They're reminding residents that using a certified electrician for inspections and improvements to your property is critical for safety. 

Firefighters recommend calling a qualified electrician, or your landlord, of you have any of the following electrical issues. 

  • Frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers
  • A tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance
  •  A burning or rubbery smell coming from an appliance
  • Sparks from an outlet
  • Unknown circuit destinations or open electrical boxes

Trending Stories

Latest Local News